Monday, August 4, 2008

Panic at the.... Hospital

On Friday night we had quite a scare. I started having Braxton Hicks contractions randomly (which I have been having but very sporadically). Then noticed they were picking up frequency. By the time I was ready for bed I called the on-call doctor to tell them how frequent they were (at least 4 an hour). My doctor said that if I got another 2-3 within the next 30 minutes to come in to the hospital, where she was at on call. Not even 10 minutes later and I had had 3.

Hubbs and I rushed to the hospital (while I was guzzling water, my teeth were chattering due to nerves), got whisked up to labor and delivery where they strapped monitors on to my belly. The doctors did not like my pattern of contractions (in which I instantly started to ultra-freak out) and told me they would give me a shot to stop the contractions and then run a test to see if I was going into PRE TERM LABOR. I am at 27 weeks. They ran the test, my cervix was nice and closed and the test was negative. After monitoring me for at least another hour my contractions stopped. They have no idea why that happened. But it scared the CRAP out of me and hubbs. I continued getting Braxton Hicks contractions throughout the weekend, but nothing like Friday night. I am so paranoid now. I have called my doctor's office twice since then.

6 comments:

Christy said...

I am so sorry. I bet you were/are scared. Hopefully it was a fluke.

Mojavi said...

ohh honey it is sooo scary! YOu start doing the math in your head and freaking out!!

Same thing happened to me at 28 weeks or so with Kya.

I have no idea why it happened. It is just so freaking scary!!!!!

Just Jiff said...

I bet you were scared! I went into pre term labor at 33 weeks -- which is MUCH better than 27! But just now that modern medicine will work wonders if you did have your baby early. My baby came 7 weeks early and she was just fine! She stayed in the nursery for a week, so I used that time to sleep in btwn visits to her. :)

Just Jiff said...

that was supposed to be "just KNOW that modern medicine" not now.. :(

Stephanie said...

Dang, that is scary. Same thing happened to my boss but she was between 36-37 weeks. Glad they aren't as bad as they were. I am sure you were freaked and still are some what. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Jen said...

Wow! That would have freaked me out too at 27 weeks! You'll be getting more of them though- your body is just practicing for the big event! :)