Thursday, August 7, 2008

Nice People

I've noticed lately that people are just nicer to those who are pregnant. Whether it is the sales clerk at Longs, gas station attendant, co-workers, waitresses, random patrons on the street, they all greet me with a warm smile and follow it up with a nice comment about my belly. This is nice, especially when you are at Macy's checking out Coach purses and the sales lady randomly says she will take off $25 bucks... I did not realize that Macy's was a bartering kind of retailer. Now I know. Maybe the next time I start sweating over the price tag of those new jeans, I should try some haggling first. See how far they come down. Maybe I can even get them to throw in a new pair of shoes!

I like these people being friendly. It puts me in a better mood, especially at work. It makes me feel special. Being pregnant really is a big deal and people should recognize it. Of course, there are those people who see my belly and automatically look for my ring finger to make sure I have a man. They typically are women in their 40's and 50's at the grocery store who maybe think that I look young for carrying around a baby in my belly. When this occurs I will flash my bling, put another box of Raisin Bran into my cart, and stalk them through the store so they can see that I am using reusable shopping bags. The final surprise for them is when I get into my family friendly Volvo sedan. Okay, I don't really stalk them but I definitely throw off the ring finger to quiet their judgements. I don't like being judged.

What I do love is being pregnant. It is fun. I love feeling the baby move. She has the most impressive kicks. It is amazing to see my belly pop up and down. This is such a fun time for the hubb's and I. I love it.

4 comments:

Lainey-Paney said...

Women who've been through it feel both the excitement & the worries...& the pain that comes along with it. Seeing other pregnant women now that I have a child---well, you immediately think about your own pregnancy, maybe miss it a little...
Yes, people are usually pretty nice to pregnant women!

Jen said...

I never EVER thought I would say this- but lately I have TOTALLY been missing being pregnant.

Oh and you will continue to get those suspicious looks from people even after you have the baby... People still look at me funny.

Stephanie said...

Yay. That is exciting. I am looking forward to gettin further along and being albe to feel the baby...or even show! :)

Just Jiff said...

I know what you mean. Everyone was tripping over themselves to help me out. Another good thing? You can stuff your face with cookies, chips, etc, and people smile at you and think you are just too cute. hahah. I miss being prego, too.