Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Work-Life Balance

This week has been crazy. I am working on a big media event in New York City this next Tuesday. My desk looks like a bomb went off. I keep on printing things out and then printing them out again because the original copy dissapeared into a pile of paperwork, my purse, keys, spilled and dried coffee, candy wrappers, couple bottles of wine, glue stick and some crackers. Just so ready for this event to come and go. I love visiting New York, but this trip on Sunday will be stressful.

Not only am I stressed , my boss is so freaking stressed it is beyond out of control. She had to call her husband last night to tell him to put their daughter to bed because she would not be home until 2-3 a.m. NO THANK YOU. I am a firm believer in the work-life balance. These days it seems so rare for people to be happy with the balance of work time vs. family time. Besides my boss, one of my coworkers is always staying late, working from home every night and also putting in several hours each weekend. I don't know why or how she does it. It's just wine people!

I am definetly a kick ass employee, I get my projects done and still have time to chat with my friends at work about our weekends, Britney Spears, etc. and not feel like I dropped the ball. When 5 or 5:30 p.m. rolls around I am out. No matter if there are projects left undone. I am hungry, the nights are short and I want to get home to see my hubby and pets.

I am much more strict about the work-life balance now that I am pregnant. I know, that after maternity leave and back at work, each day I will be counting down the minutes until I get to see my peanut and there will be no me staying late to work on a project that is not urgent. EFF that- suckers.

I strongly believe that women can still be successful and also have kids. I have watched many women do just that, and I plan to do the same. I feel like there is such a stigma that says once a woman has kids, she is not taken seriously in the workplace. Well, I will be challenging that notion, full throttle. My personal goal is to climb the corporate ladder as quick as I can, but at the end of the day, family comes first and I will never jeapordize that.

That's enough of my rantings for today.

No comments: