Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Packing, Shmacking....



I have the hardest time packing. No matter how much I plan out my outfits I always pack too much and feel like I don't have many options when I arrive. How come I can not think clearly when I am packing? Why do I always end up with too many pants and not that many shirts? I would think that after all of my travels I would have a good method for packing. I know a lot of my co-workers have a system where they only bring two pairs of pants, two pairs of shoes and more shirts and one or two jacket/blazers and can always shove everything into a carry on. I always have that goal in mind when I begin but I quickly fill up my full size suitcase. And why does it seem like men have it so much easier? No one notices when they repeat their pants a second day in a row.
Ugh!!!!!

My bottom line: Does anyone have suggestions because what I am doing is clearly not working?

6 comments:

Just Jiff said...

I agree with your coworkers. A couple pairs of pants (no one notices that they're the same -- just you!) with a few choices for tops. A couple pairs of shoes that go with all your outfits and you're done!
Something dumb I always do? Bring a hairdryer...they're ALWAYS in hotels. Why do I bother??

TSintheC said...

I've been traveling for nearly 10 years and STILL haven't figured it out. But here's a couple of hints if you want to go with just a carryon.

- Wear the jacket or blazer, don't pack it.
- If you can get away with the same shoes for EVERY outfit, do it.
- Small stuff? roll it up and shove it in the sides or in your packed shoes.
- Try to always go somplace warm (where you don't need sweaters) - (unfortunately, this doesn't work for me!) ;-)

Lindz said...

I pretty much suck at it too, I always over pack and tend to bring too many shoes.

My one suggestion, bring thats that you can mix and match and create many outfits with - that's always the best method.

Anonymous said...

Knits! Knits can be rolled up and never wrinkle. I'm big on wearing the same color family so I can mix and match rather than trying to coordinate one black outfit, one navy outfit, one brown outfit, etc.

Found your blog via the Hotfessional. Glad I did.

Christy said...

I never go anywhere, so I have no suggestions. However, I did want to share a lesson I learned about large suitcases. Before going on vacation one year, I decided to buy a large suitcase - the largest one at Macy's. Of course, I filled it up (Because obviously I don't know how to pack either). Then I tried to lift it. HEAVY. So heavy that John had to drag it out to the car. So the moral of the story is don't buy an extra large suitcase and pack it with everything you own.

Jen said...

Dude I totally suck at packing. I always bring TONS AND TONS AND TTTTOOONNNS of stuff and then only wear two pairs of pants, three shirts, on blazer and a half pair of shoes.. or something...

Yeah sorry I SUCK.