Monday, September 8, 2008

The New Status Symbol?

Why is it that strollers seem like they are the new status symbols? It used to be cars, clothes, hand bags, etc. Now it is baby gear.It seems like there is a plethora of extremely expensive strollers out there. At a wine festival we went to on Saturday I noticed a couple with a Stokke stroller. Those things are just plain goofy looking and also look rather unsafe and the price tag for those puppies is $1,200!!! This is wine country people, not New York.

What happened to practicality? When did the baby industry get so focused on having the coolest gear at top dollar? I see normal couples spending thousands of dollars on baby gear just so they can have a Bugaboo just like their favorite celebrity. I did a ton of research on strollers and while I considered getting the more expensive Peg Perego or MacLaren, I realized that both did not have the features I wanted which I ended up finding in the Graco Quattro Tour Sport. It is one thing to put a hefty price tag on something that really is worth the top dollar, but another thing to not offer all of the amenities is just weird. It's like buying a Lexus without leather seats and electric windows. Those things are just standard in luxury vehicles, so why can't they be in strollers?

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

That is a nice looking stoller! I can't wait to start shopping for baby stuff.

Jen said...

I totally agree. I think the super expensive strollers look weird and I need a MULTI FUNCTIONAL CONTRAPTION. I am looking for the stylish tennis shoe of strollers- not a stiletto.

Christy said...

We have a Graco stroller too. Love it!

Just Jiff said...

I have an Eddie Bauer stroller that hubby picked out. I probably would've gone with something different, but whatever. Practicality is the only way to go with a baby. These people who go the pricey route are making it WAY harder on themselves. Babies are expensive enough. Sheesh.

Mojavi said...

I agree and it all is a status symbol.. were talking baby slings, pacifiers, and baby clothes... not just strollers. sad but true. I have been looking at double strollers and the peg perego is the only one that I like.. sigh...

Lainey-Paney said...

Okay...now, I have an expensive status symbol stroller.
I love it. I would certainly add something as a feature: a cup holder. WTF? Who makes a stroller without a cup holder?
But....reasons why I bought this stroller: the big wheels for various terrain when we're walking by the lake. And..........it comes with a pram attachment. Since I was a little girl--I always dreamed of pushing my baby in a "carriage"-style baby stroller. So now, with the next one, I'm ready.

I have a Rock Star stroller. It's been discontinued now...but, it looks like the Targo Icoo...or Icoo Targo.