Thursday, May 21, 2009

Reflections

It's been a year since this happened. After it occurred I did not talk about it much on here. I was preggers and simply did not want to focus on such a tragic thing. Also, I think since it was such an enormous emotional experience, I don't think I could fully take it all in. There is not one day that goes by that I don't think about it. For the past couple of months I have been consumed with thinking about it. I think because I tried to block it out for so long that my mind finally could not take it anymore.

Having something like that happen to you and your family puts things in perspective. It makes little bickering between the hubbs and I over a messy kitchen seem so trivial. This happening has made my family really band together. We do everything with my cousin and her family (she lost her husband and her parents- my aunt and uncle). She has been so remarkably strong, it is almost unbelievable. But despite us all getting closer, some people in my family are still stuck in their little bubble. It is so frustrating and irritating.

2 comments:

Just Jiff said...

Wow. I'm so sorry. :(

You're right, though. Tragedy often pulls people together. I have been reading this blog about a couple who lost their 1 year old daughter and it makes me appreciate my daughter even more than I thought possible.

As for the people who are still in their own bubble.... they may just not know how to grieve or what to say or do.

Stephanie said...

I'm so sorry. Thinking of you and your family. And I hope the others figure it out!