Thursday, August 20, 2009

Happiness

I met up with an old friend yesterday for lunch. We had a falling out back in our college days and recently reconnected at a mutual friend's wedding. He was one of my best pals back in high school. Looking back on it, I had three close guy friends which I rotated through the years. Of course I had girl friends, but I just got a long better with the guys. They didn't get jealous and catty like those girls did.

So anyways, it was fun seeing this old friend. He used to be a heavy drinker, would be a jerk when he was drunk (which I think is why we stopped talking) and could be just obnoxious, but the most of the time he cracked me up with his humor and wit. It was nice to see he has really matured and has settled down with his long time girlfriend. He asked me what it was like now being a parent, and it made me think for a minute.

This is something I think about all the time, but it is just so hard to get the words right and out correctly. But it just came to me.

Each day I wake up happy. I am happy about the day ahead, week ahead, even months and years ahead. Because now that we have Sonya, problems I might of stressed over a year ago, just don't faze me as much anymore. I look forward to everything. When I get down, I just think of her smiling face and the three of us as a little family unit. It is so strong, it is what makes me happy. After dropping Sonya off at daycare, I pass by an elementary school where parents hold their kindergartner's hands as they prance up the walkway. Watching them, brings a smile to my face. Such a simple thing, but just so wonderful.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I can totally relate about being a parent!

Glad you reconnected with your friend. I have had a couple experiences like that and the way it makes you feel is unexplainable.

Just Jiff said...

I totally agree. Life's problems seem so much smaller with a happy family. :)

And I love reconnecting with old friends!!